ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY PROJECT 2

 ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 2

_

21/10/20-18/11/20 (WEEK9-WEEK13)
BEH YOKE TING (0346704)
Advanced Typography
Final Project 

LECTURES
_
There is no lecture.

INSTRUCTION



FINAL PROJECT
_
Week 9 - 21 Oct 2020

The student’s final project was asked to develop a font that is intended to solve a larger problem or meant to be part of a solution in the area of their interest be it graphic design, animation, new media or entertainment design or any other related area not necessarily reflecting their specialization.

or

Explore the use of typeface in their area of interest, understand its existing relationship, identify areas that could be improved upon, explore possible solutions or combinations that may add value to the existing typeface.

_
Week 10 - 28 Oct 2020

My idea comes from environmental protection-plastic pollution. Due to Covid-19, many people will stay at home and choose to order delivery or take away. A study estimated that Malaysia had produced 0.94 million tons of mismanaged plastic wastes, of which 0.14 to 0.37 million tons may have been washed into the oceans.

I want to create a font that can raise everyone's environmental awareness. When people look at it, they will think of the harm that plastics can cause to the world. According to the research I got on the Internet, some artists used font design to achieve the goal of raising environmental awareness. A designer named Brandon Ly designed a reusable and beautiful "Thank you bag". 


Fig 1.1 Thank you bag
After passing the feedback from Mr Vinod, I started to design this plastic font.
_
Week 11 - 04 Nov 2020

I made this font by handmaking, and then adjusted it on the computer. During the production process, I only used a plastic bag I picked up from the trash can to complete the font design. This is the first attempt of plastic font :


Fig 1.2 First attempt font
_
Week 12 - 11 Nov 2020

Next I made number and some basic punctuation. According to Mr. Vinod’s suggestion, I also tried to make a small animation (although it failed), and tried to apply the font to the application.
Fig 1.3 Final Attempt

Fig 1.4 Fontlab

Click here to get the plastic font


Fig 1.5 Final Attempt (PDF)

Application
_

Fig 1.6 The first attempt of animation

Fig 1.7 The second attempt of animation
Unfortunately, I suspended the idea of animation because my knowledge of animation is not enough for me to achieve what I want. Next, I tried to use my font to cooperate with a company called united by blue's environmentally friendly products. But the results are not as good as expected.


Fig 1.8 Application on United by blue's product

Fig 1.9 Water bottle

Fig 1.10 Postcard

Fig 1.11 Poster

Fig 1.12 Backpack
_
Week 12 - 11 Nov 2020

After making these attempts, I always think that this font is not strong enough to bring environmental awareness. Later I found that it may be a problem with the font color. I changed the font to green and felt that the effect was much better. I plan to use this font on a recycle campaign as the theme, the following is the changed application :

Fig 1.13 A recycle campaign logo

Fig 1.14 Street advertisement

Fig 1.15 Recycle mechanic

Fig 1.16 Mask 

Fig 1.17 Recycle bag
_
Week 13 - 18 Nov 2020

This week, Mr. Vinod informed the students about final submission of final Project eportfolio and final compilation and reflection will be on week 14, and reminded students that all work must be completed by next week, which is week 14.Students can refer to senior’s blog from the link shared by Mr. Vinod. In the feedback session, Mr. Vinod said that the poster design is good, and the composition design of the font may also be used on the recycle bag. The original recycle bag needs to be improved by no need to add graphics to the design. According to the comments, I made the following changes:

Fig 1.18 Recycle bag (Refined)
Final submission:

Fig 1.19 Final Project (PDF)



FEEDBACK 

-WEEK 9 (21/10/2020)-
There is no feedback.

-WEEK 10 (28/10/2020)-
Mr. Vinod gave some suggestions, such as some extra plastic bags around the font, and reminded me to make sure I refer to references when creating the font.

-WEEK 11 (04/11/2020)-
Mr. Vinod said that the font looks cool, and asked me to add some basic punctuation marks and numbers. He also asked me to try to make the font into an animation, so I can have another version of the font.

-WEEK 12 (11/11/2020)-
Mr. Vinod said the font is ok, but the quality of the animation should not be so. The animation at this stage should be more realistic. Mr. Vinod suggested that I use the composition or size on the font to design.
-WEEK 13 (18/11/2020)-
Mr. Vinod said that the poster design is good, but he also commented that there is no need to put any graphy on the recycle bag. He provided comments on trying to apply part of the poster design to the recycle bag design. This may be better to achieve the effect.

REFLECTIONS
_

Experiences : 
Week 9 (21 OCT 2020) : At this stage, I still doing research and look for an idea inspired. 

Week 10 (28 OCT 2020) : I get my idea when I saw the plastic beg from the delivery man. Because of the reason for Covid-19, a lot of people will call delivery or take away by using plastic beg, how about I create a font that can raise recycle awareness? I start doing my research.

Week 11 (04 NOV 2020) : I found out that the font I created was different from the reference. I feel disappointed about the font not as exquisite as the reference did. Even though I still felt happy when I saw the outcome.

Week 12 (11 NOV 2020) : I try so hard to apply the font on a suitable application. I keep thinking about it, and I know that the first attempt of application is not working so I didn't plan to show it to Mr. Vinod at first.

Week 13 (18 NOV 2020) : I look forward to the result when I think of a suitable application. I really enjoyed the process of making this font, it allowed me to learn a lot.

Observations : 
Week 9 (21 OCT 2020) : I have some idea but when Mr. Vinod explain about the font idea on class, I realize that the font we created should be be useful and become a possible solution. 

Week 10 (28 OCT 2020) : I searched for information on the Internet and found that plastic is really harmful to the world. I hope there is a font that can also let everyone know and use plastic bags less.

Week 11 (04 NOV 2020) : In the process, I start looking for the reference, and learn how to make it. I found that I can actually find works with similar font making methods on the Internet, but I rarely see them in real life.

Week 12 (11 NOV 2020) : My animation skill have to be improve. I tried my best, but I found that my skills were not enough to achieve the goal. Also, I have to use the font in the correct application, or the font doesn’t work.

Week 13 (18 NOV 2020) : 
In fact, compared with other students, I am not confident enough in my work. I find that most of the students' works are very good, which makes me feel inferior. But at the same time, I can also learn their advantages and disadvantages from the design of my classmates, which allows me to avoid mistakes on design

Findings :
Week 9 (21 OCT 2020) : There are many fonts that can be designed, but it is not easy to design a font that is useful or can solve the problem. Beautiful fonts are everywhere, but more important is to make the fonts useful.

Week 10 (28 OCT 2020) :Since the fonts need to be made by hand, I found that my progress was a lot behind. This made me unwilling to concentrate on other projects.

Week 11 (04 NOV 2020) : Although there are the same design ideas in the world, the designs can be different.

Week 12 (11 NOV 2020) : I hope I can successfully produce animated fonts, but in fact, I spent a lot of time researching production methods. Due to time constraints, I had to give up animation for other designs.

Week 13 (18 NOV 2020) :  In the process of making this project, I found that it is really difficult to find the correct application method. To make the font achieve the effect, it is not possible to apply the font to an item at will, which will not achieve the promotional effect.


FURTHER READINGS
_
Picking the right font for your product 

This article tells about fonts tell stories. These studies are about how fonts affect human perception, and how designers should know what impact fonts will have in the real world.


Comments